Broadwoodwidger Parish Council has vacancies for Councillor’s and would like to co-opt new members in August 2023.
The council meet every six weeks on Tuesday evenings in the Community Hub at 7:30pm. Parish councils are often the first-place people will go with concerns or ideas and for this reason, they play a vital part in village life, making decisions on behalf of the people in the parish. A parish councillor must have a desire to make a difference within the community.
Requirements of the Councillor –
- must be a British Citizen
- must be at least 18 years old
- must complete a notifications of interest form for Torridge District Council
and you must meet at least one of the following criteria –
- have lived in the Parish for a minimum of 12 months
- registered as a local government elector for the local authority area in which you wish to stand
- your main or only place of work during the 12 months prior to the day of your nomination and the day of election has been in the local authority area
- you have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the local authority area during the whole of the 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election
You may NOT become a Councillor if any of the following apply –
- you are employed by the local authority or hold a paid office under the authority
- you hold a politically restricted post
- you are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order
- you are the mayor for a combined authority area that the local authority is a part of
- you have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three months or more (including a suspended sentence), without the option of a fine, during the five years before polling day8 and the ordinary period allowed for making an appeal or in respect of the conviction has passed
- you have been disqualified under the Representation of the People Act 1983
- you are subject to the notification requirement of or under Part 2 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003, and the ordinary period allowed for making an appeal or application in respect of the order or notification has passed
If you would like to join the Parish Council, please request an application form from the Parish Clerk using email@example.com or 07305189929. Application forms must be submitted by July 19, 2023.